Tuesday 15 October 2013

Project 8 - Stage 2 - Exercise 3 & 4

Did you enjoy inventing constructed surfaces? Were you suprised at the results? Can you see a connection between your choice of materials and the types of structures you made? Regular irregular small or large scale. Which samples worked best and why?

I enjoyed inventing constructed surfaces much more than I thought I would at first. I especially liked making the braids. I found it rewarding to watch the patterns emerge and once I'd got the hang of it It was quite a quick process. I did find myself being surprised by how a simple plait could produce something actually quite interesting. However other times work I thought would be interesting just ended up as a knotted mess of materials. 

I tried not to think too much about giving the work a theme as I didn't want to box in my creativity and I just tried to go with it but I think for smaller structures I used smaller thinner materials where as in the larger pieces I had more freedom and not worry about clogging up the work. 

I personally enjoyed working on a larger scale as I did with the final grid. Although I didn't weave in to it much I just enjoyed the chunkier structure and felt that I could then add smaller details where necessary essentially giving me the freedom to work with all my materials. In the smaller piece I didn't have this option as it was too small and fiddly to work the open space.

How accurate were you in matching all the colours in your post card: 

with paints?

I thought I did quite a good job matching the colours with the paint. I selected a small area of the bird so that I didn't have too many colours to choose from.

with yarns/ other materials?

With yarns I thought I did the best I could given the limited supplies I had when I did this part of the work. Looking back though I still don't think the matches were terrible.







No comments:

Post a Comment