Tuesday 15 October 2013

Project 9 - Woven Structures - Stage 1 & 2

I decided early on to buy a loom from eBay and managed to find a pretty cheap vintage style children's loom. The instructions were terrible so I warped it up totally wrong the first time I used it but it didn't seem to make much difference to my sample.

I did also buy a larger frame and warped it up the traditional way as instructed by the course. I found this really frustrating as all the yarn kept shifting, then getting knotted, then the tension wasn't right. It took ages and my sample didn't really end up any larger than on the childrens' loom. I am glad I tried though as if I want to create a larger piece ever at least I have had a go.

I started just by different coloured wool in to the warp until I felt comfortable with the technique. At first I made it all much too tight. When I felt comfortable I started experimenting with other materials such as pipe cleaners, string and different weights of yarn.

After this I produced a second sample to learn some of the more complicated techniques. This included sumac , curved wefts and knotting. I particularly enjoyed the knotting and the tuftyness it left.

I was advised by my tutor to buy Joanne Soroka's book on weaving and I must say it was immensely helpful and I found it contained more information than the notes. It was also really nice to see where weaving could lead and the types of work it could produce further down the line. I really did think I was going to hate it but I surprised myself and kept being inspired by lots of things and had a great idea for a final project to do with fireworks.

Overall though I've been pleased with the work Ive produced so far in this part of the weaving section.


No comments:

Post a Comment